11.02.2012

Searching for home: Autumn California days.

October has become a hard month for me since my mom died five years ago. Even the amazing weather of California with its blue skies and bright sunlight doesn't always take away the emotional edge (although--I'll admit--the sunshine definitely helps).

I miss the vibrant colors of New England Autumn-- where entire landscapes are dripping with the saturated hues of red, orange and gold. Out here, you just have to look a bit harder and appreciate the small pockets of color.

Oh, California. With your progress and your new ideas. I do love you.

I'm still a stranger here, although I've been a resident for nearly 12 years. I love it dearly, yet I still feel like I'm missing a part of me--living so far from where I grew up.

I wonder where my little family will settle.

 I love to move around and see new places, but I also yearn for a sense of belonging where I live. I've always loved any place I've lived (and I've lived a lot of places). I guess I'm naturally curious and adventurous--but how do I choose the place to settle down?

How about you? Do you feel settled where you call home? How do you know? Please do tell.... share your wisdom.


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a habit of feeling rather temporary... though the last two places I had spanned 20 years between them, the second racking up 8, yet I never felt at home. It was always going to be temporary. Just that 'temporary' in this case was somewhat less temporary than the strict definition of the word. Moving here I was terribly ill and never unpacked for months. There are days now, though, like today, when I do a little home making. Perhaps this time I'll stay.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...