11.06.2012

Laugh out loud


I'm taking suggestions, dear readers. I know that most blogs give out recommendations, but I'm reverse blogging and here to collect your wisdom.

Here's the deal: with adrenal burnout I can only watch, listen to or read funny things. Seriously!


Anything with suspense, sadness, violence, etc... shoots up my cortisol levels and my adrenals can't handle it. Intense dreams, insomnia, heart palpitations--I'm a basket case*. Ridiculous, I know, but it is what it is.

As long as I can remember I've been a sensitive type (with a special talent for turning red or crying in the most inopportune situations). Regardless, I've always loved dramas, painfully real (or fatastically unreal) films, even some violence (of the Kill Bill type), action,  you name it, if it is written well, I probably loved it.

But now is the time in my life for comedy.

Here are some parameters for your suggestion: I only have a computer-- no TV-- but I can watch shows on hulu or netflix (or rent dvds). I already watch a few shows such as The Office, New Girl, Parks & Recreation, The Daily Show and Colbert Report... SNL clips, Louis CK. I'll also listen to podcasts.

I need more! especially books-- the books don't have to be pure comedy (although I love David Sedaris). I did mostly ok with the Ya Ya Sisterhood recently (but had to put it down for a while when it got intense and had nightmares all night--crazy).

I'm a voracious reader,  so load me up, please!

*my mom's phrase-- often used to describe me as a child-- what does that even mean?

4 comments:

  1. I think you might like Tina Fey's book. I'm liking Mindy Kaling's new series 'The Mindy Project.' New Girl maybe my favorite right now. It makes me laugh out loud almost every week.

    You could download Louie CK, Aziz Ansari, or Jim Gaffigan's standup specials.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Desi-- I did love Bossypants! and new girl makes me laugh out loud every week too. I think it's better this season.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am right there with you Colleen. It doesn't take much to get get my adrenaline pumping, like this morning, thinking about my car and money, etc, I went from half asleep to wide awake and hot with fear about it all. A few deep breaths...

    Anyhow, I too don't have cable, just Hulu & Amazon Prime. I love all the shows you listed, but check out Ben & Kate, Don't Trust the B in Apt 23, and The Mindy Project. Also, I finally get what all the Modern Family hubbub is all about now too - very funn. I'm thinking about watching Louis CK's show too. I love him. Did you see this?

    http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2012/11/04/louis_c_k_as_abe_lincoln_video_watch_snl_parody_brilliant_video.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes--Louise I did see that Lincoln video--too funny-- and LOVE Louis CK. I will check out the shows you mentioned. Thanks-- Money is THE WORST stressor for me. I almost have to completely ignore it (even though that really isn't smart) and trust that it will work out (works some days).
      I hope your car feels better soon :(

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...