5.24.2011

More on GAPS: Recipes for the full GAPS diet

I last wrote about how and why we  are about to start the GAPS diet. I've been doing the full diet for 2 (maybe 3 or 4?) weeks now and my husband and toddler will be joining in with the 'Intro' diet starting Friday. (Bodhi--the baby, and the reason I found out about this in the first place--will be joining us via breastmilk.)

 I have been reading through Gut and Psychology Syndrome by Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride and the Gaps Guide by Baden Lashkov and learning a ton about how our digestive system is connected to our immune system and nervous system. Dr. Natasha does an excellent job of clearly explaining her theory without "dumbing it down" and Baden offers a step-by-step guide to implementing the diet.

The full GAPS diet (which is a good way to ease into the ultra-healing 'Intro' diet) basically cuts out grains, processed sugar and starch (no beans or potatoes), and works on using animal fats to heal the intestines along with probiotic foods. First we went gluten free and then started having grain free dinners.

I wanted to share some of the best recipes that I've found so far that work for the full GAPS diet....here they are (they all have links even though the formatting makes it look like they don't):

chicken Satay-- yum (we used almond butter instead of peanut b/c we had it)
hazelnut pizza crust- - I topped it with pesto chicken, olives, parm (for some)...crust was good but a bit hazelnutty for my taste-- too rich
oven baked “fried” chicken (subbed almond flour & used herbs du Provence for poultry seasoning)  
sesame salmon cakes  I make salmon cakes a lot, but liked this way of making them with an Asian flair
lamb chops with lemon I made this twice--the first time with loin chops and I thought it was the best lamb I'd ever had. The second time I made it with cheaper shoulder chop and it didn't even compare.
coconut pancakes---Finn loves thes and they're also great as snacks--made into a sandwich with almond butter, honey and banana

and my favorite cracker so far: vegan herb crackers--Amazing. (too bad Bodhi and I are both now reacting to almond flour. boo hoo. I look forward to the day I can have these again.) Elana also has a  no wheat "wheat thin" style cracker that sounds delicious.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...